Dad died of a heart attack but I can remember when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2005, shortly after he and Mom returned from their mission in England. I have wondered what he felt at that time. I can’t remember much about what he endured during that experience because we had just moved to North Carolina.
My parents purchased our home in American Fork since they had sold their home in Oregon before leaving on their mission. I am not sure it was the ideal home or location for them, but I think they saw it as an opportunity to help us and they were not ready to start house shopping.
I remember being at that home in American Fork when I came back to see him. I believe it was in October for his birthday and all of the 10 kids wanted to surprise him with a visit. I was pregnant with Kate and my Dad had already undergone radiation and therapies of several kinds. He was completely depleted and struggling with some of the side effects of those treatments. My sister Kim was there, and one night he got up to go to the bathroom and fell in the hallway. Kim was trying to find a way to help pick him up. My big, strong Dad was slouched in the corner helpless. I had never seen him like that. I wish I had been there for him and known how to help and learned what he did to get through cancer.
My friend reminded me that sometimes “rock-bottom will teach you lessons mountain-tops never could." Today, I am grateful for my Dad who had the faith to walk through some difficult rock-bottoms so he could feel the blessings that wait for us on the other side. I love you, Daddy. Thanks for being my hero and staying beside me now when I really need you.
I had some of the sweetest phone visits with Dad years later when he felt housebound because of the side effects of his treatment. We would talk about everything. I'm so grateful for that shared time together.
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize your dad passed away on this day. Scott proposed on this day 28 years ago. I have complete faith that your dad will be one of your angels and he will know better than most of us what you will be going through and what you will need. Love you!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful tribute to your dad and to think how personally he can be your angel knowing what you are going through. Love you!
ReplyDeleteLove you my friend...
ReplyDeletelove, Adrienne