Friday, May 29, 2020

Updates on chemo and surgery

Chemo update: 

We found out that insurance won't be ready until next week, so it looks we won't start chemo until next Friday.

From Diana:

I am now a new owner of a power port! Everything with the surgery went great yesterday. They used a vein in my neck to feed the line from the port into my superior vena cava. The port sits under the skin so that I can shower and swim without infection. When I get chemo, they will inject the needle through my skin into the port and then the medication will go directly into the vena cava.

I don't know how I would do this without you all. Thank you for all your your loving support. Rebekah just returned from Utah and Idaho to see some friends and mission companions. She was able to see a few of you along the way. When she got home, she said the best thing about her trip was to hear our family praying for me and be strengthened by your love and faith. I am convinced God knew I could only handle cancer because I have the best support team in the world!

From Glen:

On Wednesday, Diana went in for an echocardiogram, followed by blood tests to make sure she is healthy enough to proceed with all the treatments they want to administer. She did well with both and everything is looking good.

Yesterday, we were a little anxious about the port surgery as this is all new. We were able to say a prayer together and I think that helped calm Diana's nerves. Dr. Jordan Glenn, the surgeon, is from our ward. 

We had to do temp checks on the way in, but I was able to stay in the waiting room while Diana got her IV started. The nurse accidentally pushed the needle on her first attempt all the way through the vein and had to make a second attempt. Diana was feeling pretty nervous already so this didn’t help. On her second attempt, all went well and I was able to come to the pre-op area and to sit with her for a few minutes. I wasn’t doing a very good job of helping her relax and her nervousness built. I grabbed her hand and sat on the bed by her and we said a prayer together. After that, Dr. Glenn talked with her, which gave her the reassurance that she needed. I left to another waiting room and Diana was wheeled back to surgery. She said knowing that Jordan was doing the surgery, and seeing him as she went into the operating room was just what she needed. Jordan came and talked with me about an hour later saying that everything went great — the placement of the port and everything with the surgery went very well. 

I was in the waiting room for another hour or so while Diana got an ultrasound to make sure everything was in the right place and to get some additional rest. Di said it was the best rest she's had in a long time.

I was able to take Diana home after that and get her settled in. She had not eaten since dinner Wednesday night, but was told to take things slow. Some people experience nausea after anesthesia, but thankfully Diana had none and was able to eat some eggs and toast. That was one of her greatest fears, so another prayer answered. Diana was able to rest, and later she spent some time with the kids. Amanda Glenn, the surgeon’s wife, brought us dinner, which was delicious. How often do you get surgery and dinner from the same family? 😊

 Thank you all for the prayers, we feel them supporting us.

6 comments:

  1. So thankful all is going well and support and love is being felt. I am sure the heavens are getting flooded with prayers on your behalf. You are so very loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my lovely friend how long I’ve been looking for you ...I know it’s not the best time for you but I’m glad to be able to talk to you I’ll love to be in contact please tell me if you appreciate it my mail is naquis71@gmail.com or I’m on Facebook but I know you don’t like it so much..you’ll be in my prayers...send you a big hug love you so very much!!!! Miñaca (sister Cedeño)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are loved by MANY, including me! I've been thinking about you for a few weeks, just wondering how you are doing. I was getting ready to ask our FB group if anyone knew how to contact you but then I see the update. I have fond memories of our days together on Temple Square. You are an amazing person and a light to many. Hey, I just found out that you know Andrew Streeter and his mom, Linda. He married one of my nieces. Much love, Laura Bean

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Amy Stiles King. Diana and served on Temple Square together. Hi!! Much love sent your way! Hugs from Montana. We moved her in December.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure love you Diana!!! We’ll be praying for you! Love, Emily Fawson Flake

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Diana. It’s April (MacNair) Hinckley from your MTC class. I am so sorry for all you are having to go through. You will be in my prayers. Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete