Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Things are getting hairy :)

Last week was a bit hairy, no pun intended, so I wanted to recap a few things that happened.

I had been told by my oncologist that I would begin losing my hair 2 to 4 weeks after treatment began, but until the June 19,  I saw no apparent signs of  hair loss. I normally have a lot of hair, so I wondered if perhaps I might just lose a portion of my hair instead of all of it. On Friday, however, I started to see bits of hair coming out throughout the day and by Monday it was quite apparent that things weren’t stopping — every time I pulled up my hair, handfuls of hair were coming out. This was emotional for me. I would have been ready to shave my hair at that point but we had already arranged to take family pictures on Wednesday. So, I did my best to baby my hair along without washing or combing it, hoping we could make it last a few more days. With a lot of help from my dear friend and hairdresser, she helped me style it in such a way that you couldn’t see any patches or balding and my niece did an outstanding job capturing our family together. We are so grateful to have those memories!
📷: Cassandra Brown Photography

The next morning, June 25th, I had an appointment to check out a wig shop. Previously, I didn’t think I would use a wig, but after talking to several breast cancer survivors who shared how much having a wig helped them, I decided to look into it. Wigs, especially those made of real hair, can be pricey, but I had a prescription from my oncologist for a “cranial prosthesis” based on my diagnosis. Our insurance would not cover the cost, but we found out about a wonderful organization called “Don’t be a chump, check for a lump” that provided $250 toward a wig after a short application process. Before I lost my hair, I wanted to see if anything might match my original color and texture. Glen, my friend, and I had a great time trying on wigs of all colors and lengths and finally decided to order a heat-resistant synthetic wig that seemed to fit my personality, and I plan to use it along with scarves and other head coverings.


Glen and I wanted the family to be together at home when we shaved my hair, so the kids coordinated their work schedules so that everyone could be home after our appointment at the wig shop. We picked up Chick-fil-A and, after eating, my hairdresser and all of the kids helped to cut my hair. I wanted to donate my hair to children with hair loss due to cancer and other medical reasons, so I was able to about 10 inches to Children With Hair Loss. Hannah wanted to know if she could help, so we pulled my hair up into small ponytails and each of the kids got to cut one or two off. We didn’t want this experience to be frightening for anyone, so we tried to make it fun and incorporate everyone’s ideas and we really had a marvelous afternoon! 




Glen, Ryan, and Daniel all really wanted to show their support by cutting their hair so we cut their hair after mine. Paul had also considered cutting his hair but I could tell that he was having a hard time seeing me without my hair and I reassured him that he did not need to shave his head for me to feel his love and support. He decided not to shave and I was grateful no one felt pressure to do that. The girls had also spent the morning tinting the bottoms of their hair pink so that by the time we were all done our family looked completely different. We spent the next couple of days thinking of all the perks of having no hair — all of the time and expense of coloring and cutting, no more shampoo and conditioner, how fast it is to shower and get ready. Everyone was very positive. As we have embraced this temporary change in our appearance, we have been reminded of how insignificant the trappings of this life really are and how little they define us.

Thursday evening my wonderful mom flew into town from Utah to stay with me while the kids got ready for an Andersen family reunion. Friday morning, before my infusion, Glen and I met with Dr. Curley to review my progress from the past three weeks. I was very happy to report that I could feel my tumor getting smaller and we discussed some questions I had. Dr. Curley was confident that my blood counts would be up and that we could move forward with the dosages and treatment he had originally planned. When we got my blood tests back, turned out that he was right! We spent the rest of Friday helping pack the family up and getting camping supplies ready and then they left for Manti Saturday morning.

This week:
Here's the new wig! Still trying to figure out
how to get it on straight and style it, but I feel like
it looks pretty natural.
Our home has never been so quiet and clean! My mom and I enjoyed a wonderful Sabbath Day taking the sacrament, reading, and baking. She came with all kinds of recipes that we could try to help with my nausea and nutrition and to fatten me up! I am so grateful for her service as we have stripped bedding, washed laundry and run errands. I continue to walk each morning and have loved getting updates from Glen and the kids at the reunion. I have felt a huge outpouring of love from the Andersens as they have prayed, colored their hair pink, shaved heads, and worn pink bracelets.

Today, I picked up the wig I had ordered and had blood work done in preparation for my infusion tomorrow. Because of the 4th of July, the clinic will be closed on Friday, so I will go in a day earlier to receive an infusion of Carboplatin, Taxol, Keytruda. This last cycle was my hardest round of chemo, but we have figured out a few things that I think will help me to feel better tomorrow. 

I have been reminded today in undeniable ways that the Lord always provides the ways for us to endure our challenges, often through other people.

4 comments:

  1. So very glad you got these pictures taken of your family through all of these stages. They turned out great! And I love each look on you with the wigs. You could pull off many styles and colors. That could be fun! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wig in the middle makes you look like Colleen. The wig on the right makes you look like Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana,thanks for sharing your journey with us. You look and sounds beautiful. I love all of the positive comments your made concerning the blessings of not having to deal with hair 🙂 I am keeping you and your beautiful family in my prayers. ❤️ Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the wig you choose! I love your no-hair look as well! There’s no making you shining spirit. ❤️❤️❤️Brenda

    ReplyDelete