
Everything went really well yesterday at my appointment with Dr. Curley and my chemo infusion. Both my white blood cell and platelet counts were within treatable ranges and the doctor gave us the green light to get my Taxol, Carboplatin, and Keytruda infusion. Before we started, we talked with Dr. Curley about my treatment and asked questions. We continue to see changes in the size of my tumor, which the doctor is very happy with. After my 12th infusion we will re-image the diseased areas with an MRI and get an even better feel for how I am responding to the chemotherapy. I will continue to get my Zarxio injections next week on Mon, Tue, Wed, and then Dr. Curley said he is going to push pretty hard to continue with infusions the next few weeks, meaning he may be more liberal with blood count numbers.
We expressed our discouragement at having to cancel infusions in the past and he said that having those delays are pretty standard. The way he looks at it is that we are going at this cancer at 120-miles-an-hour and it's pretty normal to get “pulled over” once in a while, but he would prefer to have occasional delays than to lower dosages. He feels that is more effective. We asked about a couple of other things we had read that may help with low blood counts and he reiterated that the low blood counts are a direct response to the chemo drugs and not related to what I am or am not eating, doing, or taking. However, giving the best care I can to my body through rest, exercise, and diet will help with my recovery from the chemo. I have lost most of my eyelashes and about half my eyebrows. Dr. Curley said he has some patients who don’t lose their eyebrows and lashes and he isn't exactly sure why. The extent of hair loss is different for each individual.
After my infusion, I was pretty tired and experienced the usual side effects. I typically have really bad insomnia the night after treatment due to the steroids, and I have a chemo rash on my face and neck for a couple of days that looks like a sunburn. It doesn't itch, it's just red, a little hot, and sensitive. With the Carboplatin, I usually have very bad constipation but I think we got ahead of it with lots of bran muffins, flaxseed, hemp seeds, prunes, and stool softeners the couple of days beforehand. Nausea is increasing and has been at its worst on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday in the past.
The best part of my day was tucking Hannah into bed with one of our favorite stories, “Cancer Hates Kisses.” It tells of a mama who is a cancer-fighting superhero who gets her strength from her children’s kisses, hugs, high-fives, and love.
Sending all our love to you!
Di and Glen
Good to hear of the progress. Continue to pray for you. -Mark
ReplyDeleteSo hoping the nausea is less this time! Sounds like the perfect story!
ReplyDeleteYou are a superhero. Love you.
ReplyDeleteLove, Adrienne
You are so loved that you must be the strongest super hero I know. Lots of love!
ReplyDelete