My treatment more than two weeks ago hit me harder and longer than my previous chemotherapy. I felt little to no relief from the CBD and medication I tried, partly because I couldn’t keep them down. I was so grateful to have my sister Kim here for the week after chemo. She was able to help the kids with school and shop for clothing for Paul’s mission, which allowed me to rest for most of the week. By the time she left, I was feeling well enough to be up. I realized that I will need help the weeks following each of the last three infusions, so my mom and sisters have generously arranged to come out for those weeks. I am going to try CBD in capsule form and possibly try some acupuncture to see if either of those options will help with the nausea and vomiting.
On September 27, my youngest sister Kathryn, who lives in San Francisco, organized a team of walkers to participate in a virtual walk as part of the Susan G. Komen More Than Pink Walk. My family members participated wherever they currently live and we literally had walkers from coast to coast in all kinds of weather. From Oregon and California, to Utah, Colorado, and Texas, to Virginia, and even Haiti where my brother is currently assigned for the state department ... we walked. Kathryn was able to help raise over $500 for breast cancer testing and research, which her company will match. It was a joy!
I spent the next week down with a cold that had gone through a couple of our kids. Thankfully, no fever, but the sore throat, congestion, and runny nose took me about a week to recover from. I was amazed at how drippy I was because I have no nose hair! I was like a leaky faucet 24/7! :) I also had a UTI, which meant I had to take antibiotics — that did a number on my stomach.
Thankfully, Glen and I had planned a trip to Prescott for a couple of days after General Conference. It was so nice to have something to look forward to after being sick for two weeks. While Glen and I were gone, the kids stayed with cousins Cassandra and Jenner Brown in San Tan Valley, and they're already wondering when we can leave again. :) They had so much fun with the Browns and we enjoyed a couple of days hiking at Goldwater Lake, Thumbs Butte, found some great restaurants, and enjoyed the cooler weather.
My mom arrived on Tuesday and will be here for the next two weeks. I will have blood work done Wednesday, a repeat of the breast MRI on Thursday, and treatment on Friday, October 9. Because the kids are on fall break, Glen is taking them to Manti to see some family from the Oct. 9 – 16, while my mom is here to help me recover from chemo.
Will continue praying that you have strength to bear the unpleasant side effects of chemo. -Mark
ReplyDeleteLove the show of support! I really want to explore Prescott now! Fingers crossed Friday will work but if not ...there may be purpose behind it! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteI thought of you so many times during conference and am grateful it brought you peace!
ReplyDeleteUgh! You got sick with all you are already dealing with but glad you are feeling better and we’re able to set away with Glen.
Yay! For mommas help and we pray you will be held through this next treatment and are able to feel some relief from it’s affects. Love always!