It's been an emotional week for me and Glen. After receiving news that we would need to do additional chemo following radiation, we felt like the light at the end of our tunnel was no longer visible, that the finish line had being pushed too far into another year that it was out of reach. At the same time, one of our dear friends was diagnosed with a type of lymphoma cancer and we were mourning with them. We continued to move forward with work, family, and church responsibilities. We watched soccer and basketball games, helped Ryan ask a girl to prom, and celebrated Daniels's 13th birthday but our hearts were depressed and sorrowful during the quiet moments of the day.
We were reminded by this picture of Hannah's to keep praying, to seek God's direction through scripture, and we felt comfort from priesthood blessings. In an effort to support me, Glen tried to arrange a getaway for me to have a few days to ponder and connect with God, but when he asked me what I needed to press on, I told him that what I really needed was to be in the temple. Unfortunately, our Phoenix temple had been closed due to COVID since last March and was only recently reopened, on a limited basis, for small groups performing their own ordinances, such as marriage.
We were reminded by this picture of Hannah's to keep praying, to seek God's direction through scripture, and we felt comfort from priesthood blessings. In an effort to support me, Glen tried to arrange a getaway for me to have a few days to ponder and connect with God, but when he asked me what I needed to press on, I told him that what I really needed was to be in the temple. Unfortunately, our Phoenix temple had been closed due to COVID since last March and was only recently reopened, on a limited basis, for small groups performing their own ordinances, such as marriage.
Several more days passed as we continued to pray that my faith would be strengthened, and then a miracle happened for us. A friend of a friend reached out to us to let us know that they were attending the temple with their daughter who was preparing to be married. Their family party was small, much less than what was allowed by COVID restrictions, and knowing our circumstances, they asked us if we wanted to join them. I was overcome with tears and I dropped to my knees to thank my Father in Heaven for hearing our plea and making it possible to succor me in precisely the way that I needed. This experience helped me to see our situation with an eternal perspective and be reminded of the glorious promised blessings that await those who faithfully endure the challenges of this mortal probation. Modern-day miracles continue! (Moroni 7:35-38) Our faith in Jesus Christ and in his atoning power to save us has been fortified and that has made all the difference.
Radiation was delayed one day because my plan was not quite ready. I will go in on March 2 for my verification day and first treatment will be March 3.

No comments:
Post a Comment