Thursday, April 15, 2021

Radiation complete!

Today was my last day of radiation!! I'm so excited to have this part of treatment complete but I have to admit I was really sad to say goodbye to the office staff and radiation technicians who've become my friends over the past six weeks. Jean, Dorothy, Kwaneija, Cheryl, Ana, and Lucia have been so kind to me and I will miss them. It's been more than a month since my last entry so let me give you a recap of what's happened during that time.
  • After starting radiation, I was told to be very careful about irritating the skin that was being treated, including not using a washcloth or razor in the shower and keeping my left arm on my hip while I walked to prevent repetitive rubbing of my arm against the side of my chest. I called this "walking with attitude" but I got some pretty funny looks from people who thought I was posing for a picture while I was exercising. :) My skin seemed to hold up pretty well until the last two weeks when I started to get very itchy from dryness and my skin started to burn. It's now a dark reddish brown and quite leathery but Dr. Quiet is hopeful that in the next month, with a lot of Vitamin E oil, it will heal well. My fatigue also increased as radiation continued and it seems I'm always tired. The kids recently asked me if I could have any superpower, what would it be? I said "to have endless energy and never get tired!" I'll follow up with Dr. Quiet on May 12 to see how I'm recovering.

  • We had a wonderful Spring Break March 15–19. Glen took a couple of days off so we could do some family activities like ice skating, and a day trip to San Tan Valley to see the Brown cousins and Courtney (niece) who was in town from Utah. We also played with friends, went to the lake for an afternoon with our neighbors, worked on puzzles and got to dog-sit Bailey, our friends' Goldendoodle!

     


  • The following week, Ryan had his senior class trip to Williams, Arizona, and while he was there, he received his mission call! We had to patiently wait until he got home that weekend to find out that he will be serving in the Rancagua, Chile mission and will begin his missionary training at home on July 27. Other recent activities for the kids include church prom this weekend for Ryan, braces and basketball for Daniel, soccer playoffs for Kate, and Rebekah driving to Virginia for a summer internship with a wedding planner. It was glorious to have her here for the past week!


  • I was grateful to receive my first COVID vaccine (Pfizer) on February 28 and had a sore arm for a few days but after I received my second vaccine on March 28, I was quite sick for almost a week. I've had diarrhea during this entire time and my oncologist thinks it could be a side effect of the vaccine, so I'm using several things that are helping to setting things down including a probiotic, kefir, and CBD oil.

  • My sister Annette and her family were here for their Spring break the week of March 24–31. We got to celebrate Ben's 8th birthday while they were here and they were a huge help in getting me back on my feet after my second COVID vaccine.
 
  • Easter week and General Conference were absolutely wonderful for us and seemed to come just exactly when we needed it most. We loved listening to our prophet's counsel and are already feeling the blessings as we "clear away the debris in our lives."

  • I have continued to meet with my PT Karie as my skin and muscles have gotten tighter and stiffer with radiation. She's helping me regain my range of motion and, as of now, we're not seeing any signs of lymphedema. I will see her weekly for the next month and then determine if I can be discharged.

  • Glen and I met with Dr. Curley, my oncologist, and he's decided to give me about three weeks to heal from radiation before I begin my oral chemo Xeloda, on May 10. I will meet with him after my first two weeks of treatment to see how I'm reacting and if we need to adjust dosages. He feels like as soon as I am strong enough, I can return to church and more normal activities sometime during the next month.
This week marks one year since I discovered my tumor. We are overcome with gratitude as we think of all of the service, prayers, and support we've been blessed with. This past year would have been very different without you all and we hope that you will feel our love and thanks for being a part of our fight against cancer. We love you very much!

Diana

4 comments:

  1. I know that the oral chem upset your plans but you can do this! We will continue praying that you’ll be filled with strength and power until this is behind you. Love, Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year has been a year for all of us to declutter and I am so grateful that I have been teaching seminary by Zoom so that I could come and help the amazing Anderson family and my sister, Diana. I know that the Lord is in the details of our lives and that His will is always wiser than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats for finishing radiation and for see the blessings that came from it. Awesome you were able to have some fun in the middle of all of it. Love the update on all the fam. We are so excited for Ryan!
    Hope you can enjoy the break and recover as much as you can. Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your family have handled this last year with courage, faith, and grace! Continue looking up!

    ReplyDelete