Day 1 is complete and that means I am one day closer to recovery. I started this morning with scripture study and read in the Book of Mormon Alma 7:11-12.
"And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities."
There is always one person in this world who knows exactly what we are experiencing and because He suffered all that we will experience, I don’t ever have to feel alone. Through Christ, I have felt great peace and joy among many other blessings.
Beka and I went for a walk outside in 90 degree weather this morning. Not super refreshing but it was invigorating. I was told by a radiologist that if I can continue to be active, I will do even better with my treatments, so we are working hard at doing that even on the days I don’t feel like it.
Glen and I met with a genetic counselor at 9 a.m. in the same building where I would receive chemo. We talked for about 40 minutes about what genetic testing is and what ramifications it can have, and then I completed the testing with a saliva sample. This genetic testing will evaluate about 85 different genes, many of which are associated with cancer and also other health issues. There is about a 15% chance that I may be BRCA 1 or BRCA 2 positive, which means that I have a mutation in one of these tumor suppressor genes which can be a reason for why I got cancer at an early age (under the age of 50). If I test positive, any of my direct family (my parents, siblings, and children) can receive a test free of charge if they choose. It will take 7-10 business days to get results.
"And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities."
There is always one person in this world who knows exactly what we are experiencing and because He suffered all that we will experience, I don’t ever have to feel alone. Through Christ, I have felt great peace and joy among many other blessings.
![]() |
| Ready to rock day 1 |
Glen and I met with a genetic counselor at 9 a.m. in the same building where I would receive chemo. We talked for about 40 minutes about what genetic testing is and what ramifications it can have, and then I completed the testing with a saliva sample. This genetic testing will evaluate about 85 different genes, many of which are associated with cancer and also other health issues. There is about a 15% chance that I may be BRCA 1 or BRCA 2 positive, which means that I have a mutation in one of these tumor suppressor genes which can be a reason for why I got cancer at an early age (under the age of 50). If I test positive, any of my direct family (my parents, siblings, and children) can receive a test free of charge if they choose. It will take 7-10 business days to get results.
![]() |
| Bracelet from Hannah |
Before my chemo appointment began at 10:15 a.m., I put EMLA cream on my port, which helps numb the skin and reduce pain at the injection site. The needle went in without too much trouble. First, they drew blood samples from the port to test all of my blood counts and other levels to make sure I was safe to start chemo. Then, I found a recliner to sit in and got comfy with a soft warm blanket, fuzzy socks, water bottle, music, and books — all gifts from friends and family. Hannah also made me a bracelet to wear every time I have chemo. 😊
The first thing I was given was a bag of Pepcid to alleviate my reaction to the chemo. They then started with the Keytruda (the immunotherapy drug), which did not have any side effects. After that I was given a dose of Benadryl, which made me very tired, followed by a bag of nausea meds mixed with a little bit of steroids that will all help me to tolerate the chemo.
The Taxol chemotherapy came next for about an hour. This is the strongest of the drugs I will receive in this round of treatment. I felt a little queasy as this started and could taste kind of a metal taste in my mouth but not too bad. I sucked on ice pellets from Sonic. Sucking on something cold can construct blood flow to the mouth during chemo and help with mouth sores.
The last drug I was given was Carboplatin. I mostly rested during this time, I listened to music, I texted a bit, and was able to call and talk to Glen twice. Every time I had to go to the bathroom, I took my chemo and IV stand with me. 😊
![]() |
| Before |
I texted Glen when I was getting close to finishing, and he came and picked me up and we got home at about 3 p.m. It was a long day but we felt happy with how well things went. When we got home, I discovered one more way you all made this a wonderful day. Several of my friends had come to our home to paint the sitting area that is off of my bedroom. Glen moved all of his office furniture into the loft so that I could have a quiet area to rest while I am in treatment.
My local friends, along with my generous interior designer niece and entrepreneur nephew, helped to create a “rejuvenation retreat” where I can heal and ponder and spend time with the kids. Even though I had helped to select some of the furniture that we were going to use, I was not aware it had already arrived and I certainly did not expect the room to be painted and set up. I was left speechless and all I could do was cry.
We sat for a bit in this room talking with the kids as they came home from playing with friends, and then we enjoyed a delicious meal prepared and delivered by another friend from church. Bekah made my Mom's recipe for watermelon and lime slushies for dessert. Everyone loved it, so refreshing.
Other than feeling tired and a little nauseous, I ate dinner and everything is staying down. Doctor said everyone reacts differently, but usually the second or third day after chemo treatment is when fatigue and nausea become a bit tougher. All of the IV meds have worn off and chemo has done its damage. My next chemo appointment is Friday, June 12 at 10 a.m. It will be a shorter appointment because I'll only get the Taxol. They estimate 2 hours in the infusion chair, plus a blood tests. Side effects I will be watching for the next few weeks include dehydration, constipation, nausea, mouth sores, neuropathy in hands and feet, anemia, muscle or joint pain, and, of course, hair loss between 2–4 weeks after first treatment.
Other than feeling tired and a little nauseous, I ate dinner and everything is staying down. Doctor said everyone reacts differently, but usually the second or third day after chemo treatment is when fatigue and nausea become a bit tougher. All of the IV meds have worn off and chemo has done its damage. My next chemo appointment is Friday, June 12 at 10 a.m. It will be a shorter appointment because I'll only get the Taxol. They estimate 2 hours in the infusion chair, plus a blood tests. Side effects I will be watching for the next few weeks include dehydration, constipation, nausea, mouth sores, neuropathy in hands and feet, anemia, muscle or joint pain, and, of course, hair loss between 2–4 weeks after first treatment.
I never expected my first day of chemo to be so wonderful, but it was because of you. Thank you for being the Savior’s hands for today. We love you so very much!




Thank you so much for the update and for the upliftment. Your words are so inspiring. I'm glad things went so well and you felt so loved, love from Cali! Love, Heather
ReplyDeleteOne day closer to being a survivor!!! - Mark
ReplyDeleteI love that you have a special place to recuperate and I can see lots of snuggles and chats with your family here. Such a wonderful surprise!
ReplyDeleteLove you Diana, youve got tbis.
ReplyDeleteLove Adrienne