Friday, July 17, 2020

Happy chemo day

Never thought I would be so happy to get chemo!

Thursday: Thursday was the one weekday I was not scheduled to be in the cancer clinic, but unfortunately the worst of the side effects from the Zarxio injections hit that day — lots of pain in my lower back, hips, and joints. I wanted to be with the kids since I had been gone so much, so we decided to go swimming and we had a marvelous time! The water actually supported my weight so I felt little to no pain while I bobbed around the pool for about an hour with the kids. First time to put sunscreen on my head. ;)

Friday: Glen and I met with Dr. Curley before my scheduled infusion time. He did a breast exam first and was happy to see good progress with the tumor. He could hardly feel the inflammation in my lymph nodes and the tumor felt like it had reduced more than two centimeters in size. He was happy with that response and feels like we are right on track.

He is concerned about my white blood cell counts. We asked him how the cancelled infusions will affect the progress of my treatments. He said one or two cancellations will not be problematic but he does not want that to happen anymore so he is going to have me continue with the Zarxio injections every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. If things stabilize, we will adjust as needed.

 We also talked a lot about my susceptibility to COVID right now. We are trying to make some decisions about the kids schooling and wanted the doctor's input. We are anxious for Ryan to have a senior year and Kate to experience her freshman year along with the other kids, but after talking with the doctor we have decided to have them all do online school until my chemo treatments are completed. We feel peace about that.

I headed into the chemo room to get blood draws and was so happy to see my neutrophils at 3.83! A big improvement from last week when they were 0.3. My red blood cells, hemoglobin, and platelets were all low. Usually, doctors like platelets to be above 100 and I was 93, but he gave the ok for the infusion today given my strong white blood cell count. So grateful for answered prayers and a priesthood blessing! My nurse started the Benadryl, Zofran, Pepcid, steroids, and Taxol. I was able to have just half the Benadryl dose again without any adverse reaction. I always get nauseated from the start and my mouth tastes like metal but with some deep breathing and relaxation I was able to keep everything down. I continue to suck on ice chips while the Taxol is given to help prevent mouth sores. 

I came home to rest and felt like I could have slept the entire day but I got up after a few hours so I would be able to sleep tonight, to eat something, and to be with the family. Another infusion complete! Thank you for helping make that happen with your faith and prayers.

5 comments:

  1. So thankful the tumor seems to be responding to the treatment. What an awesome picture!!! That's a nice bonus...you can go swimming now without worrying about trying to not get your hair wet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could not have picked a better picture! I live the expressions on everyone’s faces!!!

    I’m so happy to hear that you were able to have the infusion!!! And it’s so great that the pool helps ease the discomfort as well!!!!

    We will continue to pray that the medications Will do their job and that your white blood cell count will be so happy! That is wonderful! We love you all so much!!!! ❤️🙏🏻🤗
    Mary Knapp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy for answered prayers. -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures you have in this blog! You are truly amazing..not only are you rocking the no hair look, you are doing it with a remindtremendous amount of courage and positivity! I am so impressed. I love your family and love that everyone is supportive and loving. I pray everyday that you can keep food down and get some nourishment ask your body can continue to fight. Sounds like things are terrible and wonderful at the same time...if that makes sense. Love to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok let me edit my own post since the word "wonderful" should not be associated with cancer in any way! But what I meant was the way you and your family are dealing/coping creates a sense of awe and wonder at your bravery, courage, strength,resiliency etc etc.

    ReplyDelete