I planned to get up early Sunday morning to prepare a high-protein breakfast for Diana, and also strain the Greek yogurt I had made the night before. I thought I had woken early enough to get all of that done and shower, especially since Hannah had woken up and came to help me with breakfast. After getting everything ready — chopping the zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, spinach, ham, and cheese — I tried to make an eight-egg omelette so that Diana, Hannah, and I would all be able to eat. Let’s just say it took a lot longer to cook than I expected. Diana can’t have any raw egg, so it was probably overdone by the time I finished. At that point, it was time to start my bishopric meeting, so I tuned into the meeting — still wearing my PJs, unshaved, and not showered — and everyone was really nice and understanding. :)
After the meeting, I talked with Di for a little while as I ate my breakfast and she rested. It was great to have that time with her while the kids took care of things. Diana hopped in the shower and I realized I needed to drop off some tithing at the church and couldn’t send it with my kids. I still hadn’t showered and was still in my PJs, so my counselor agreed to meet me in the parking lot. Of course, I ended up talking for a few minutes and saw a few members as I was leaving. It made me wonder what they must think of their bishop, who obviously wasn’t ready for church while they were arriving to go in and worship. I knew they would understand, and they probably didn’t even think twice about it, but it was a very good reminder for me to not judge.
When I got home, we all got ready for online church. (And, yes, I had showered and dressed by then!) Diana was still very tired, but determined give a talk that she had volunteered to give. She sat down near us and led everyone in a virtual discussion on the talk “The Finest Homes,” by Elder L. Whitney Clayton. As I watched her, I was so grateful for her heart and desire to teach our children. One quote that really stood out to me was: "The finest homes are refuges from the storms of life. The Lord has promised that those who keep the commandments of God 'prosper in the land.' God’s prosperity is the power to press forward despite the problems of life."
Diana has done such a wonderful job to make our home a refuge from the storms of life. We talked about the Lord’s promise to prosper us in the land and how that doesn’t mean to remove our problems or difficulties. It means He will walk with us hand in hand as we take those challenges on. He will send people into our lives to strengthen and comfort us. My testimony grew to see Diana — so tired and weak from chemo — talk about the Lord sustaining her.
We have been surrounded by angels who support us when we struggle to go forward on our own. Thank you so much, dear friends.
We have been surrounded by angels who support us when we struggle to go forward on our own. Thank you so much, dear friends.
Love,
Glen
I listened to this talk this week after I read your post and it helped on a difficult day. Grateful you have such support from your ward. When they see you like that I’m sure they are humbled how much your serve inside and out of the home. Prayers for you all!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing. Bless you, Diana and your family.
ReplyDeleteAdrienne