Wednesday, September 16, 2020

My perfect oncologist


How thankful I am that my infusion was cancelled on Friday! This week has given my body a chance to catch its breath. I am feeling more energy and less side effects. I have also felt a gentle reminder that God is my perfect oncologist. He knows exactly what I need and how best to treat this cancer.

Saturday, Glen and I drove to an infusion center in Scottsdale to get a “type and screen” for my blood infusion. They took several samples of my blood through my port to verify my blood type and to test it for antibodies. Then they mixed bits of my blood with donations that would be given to me to see how it reacted and to make sure they would be a good match. The nurses kept my port accessed with the tube capped overnight so that I could return Sunday morning at 7:30am for the infusion. Glen dropped me off so that he could attend church meetings and be with the children, and a dear friend picked me up to bring me home. 

I had the sweetest nurses who waited on me for the next six hours while I “took in” two pints of blood. 🧛‍♀️ The nurses said that some people feel the results of the transfusion quickly but it normally takes 24–48 hours, which was the case for me. Right after the infusion, I had more color in my face and my eyes looked less sunken but I didn’t begin to feel more energy until this morning. I was able to walk this morning with a little more speed and go up the stairs without getting winded.

This morning, I drove to Anthem to get a bilateral breast MRI at an imaging center there. This was my first experience with an MRI and it was memorable! I laid on my stomach face down while I was tested with and without contrast, a dye injected through my veins to better detect the tumor. I was given ear plugs for all the noises the machine would make but they didn’t do a thing to block out all of the knocking, alarms, horn blowing, and jackhammering. I practiced lots of deep breathing to hold still for about a half hour. We will get the results in 2–3 days, hopefully before our appointment with Dr. Curley on Friday.

3 comments:

  1. Still praying for you Di that your platelets level will allow you to get your infusion and you'll have strength to bear the unpleasant side effects. -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about how you had to get your blood transfusion while your family was at church and how you were truly showing your sacrifice, dedication and faith through your actions. We go partake of the sacrament as a symbol of our commitment to follow God and you were showing your commitment by submitting to will by accepting your trials and continuing to see His hand and turn to Him. Your example of faith and they way you have expressed its has strengthened mine. Thank you for your perseverance. We love you so much and are praying your body is being sufficiently made whole to receive the next round of treatments. So proud of you for making through the last!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont know if you know that I worked as a MRI tech. Its very loud. Glad you were so strong to handle it. Love you.

    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete