I've been reading several books by Neal A. Maxwell, who was an apostle of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for many years. He died in 2004 after an eight-year battle with leukemia. This time he referred to as his “pincushion period,” which I could identify with. :)
He shared this idea in one of his books: “Since this is a gospel of growth and life is a school of experience, God, as a loving Father, will stretch our souls at times.” Then he quoted Eric Hoffer as saying that the soul is like a violin string; it makes music only when it is stretched. “God will tutor us by trying us because He loves us, not because of indifference...this sort of divine design in our lives clearly requires the omniscience of God.” (All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience, page 29)
This has been one of the hardest weeks for me physically with nausea, extreme fatigue, nose bleeds and other side effects. My body is wearing down and certainly being “stretched,” but as I have prayed to be a teachable student, my faith in an all-knowing Father in Heaven has intensified and I have felt in greater proportion the love that motivated our Savior's infinite and excruciating sacrifice for each one of us.
Will keep praying that you have strength to bear the unpleasant side effects.
ReplyDeleteIm sorry your week was rough. You are in mu prayers. Love you.
ReplyDeleteAdrienne
Cancer should be enough to go through without all the side effects. I so admire your faith, optimism and desire to always learn the lessons Heavenly Father has in mind for you. I wish we could do something to ease these growing pains. Love you!
ReplyDeleteKeep your spirit strong.
ReplyDeleteThank you always for sharing your thoughts and testimony. I want to be a teachable student of His, also! Miki
ReplyDelete