Friday, October 30, 2020

Answered prayers

We were grateful for many answered prayers! My blood transfusion brought my hemoglobin numbers up from 7 to 10.5 and I was cleared to get chemo.

Glen and I met with Dr. Curley after my blood was tested and before I began chemo. We talked about how my treatment plan looks at this point. If all goes well with my blood counts, my last chemo infusion will be in three weeks on November 20th. After that I will continue to go in every three weeks for an infusion of just the immunotherapy drug I've been receiving, Keytruda. He would like me to have 9 more treatments of the Keytruda (every 3 weeks) to stimulate my body’s own immune system to recognize and attack any remaining cancer cells. Thankfully, the side effects of Keytruda are minimal. New studies show a significant benefit to those who use it throughout chemo treatments and for 9 treatments afterward. 

This will not interfere with me making plans for surgery. Dr. Curley suggests about 4 weeks of recovery before scheduling surgery, but he was open to us waiting until after Christmas and looking to have surgery in January. He also recommends radiation after surgery to me, and any patients who have tumors larger than two centimeters.

We're scheduled to meet with a urologist on Nov. 10 due to all the urinary issues I've had the past few weeks. Dr. Curley said it isn't uncommon on the AC (Adriamycin & Cyclophosphamide) to struggle with yeast infections and UTIs. Hopefully, we can stay ahead of that this time around. I also made an appointment for Monday to get IV fluids to keep from getting dehydrated. 

Dr. Curley was pleased to get the results of the breast MRI that showed no signs of the tumor remaining. He reiterated what our breast surgeon said however that even when imaging comes back 100% clear there is still a 30% chance of live cancer cells in the infected area and this is why some type of surgery is still recommended and considered standard of care.

After getting chemo and my on-body injector of Neulasta, I came home to rest. My sweet friend loaned us an ionic foot bath that's supposed to pull toxins out of your body. Below is a picture of what the clear tap water looked like after soaking for 30 minutes. Yikes!




4 comments:

  1. So proud of you for taking this head on and for what you've accomplished so far! -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. The MRI sounds encouraging!! I'm so glad you are almost done with this part. You have been so amazing through all of this. I'm glad your treatments after won't have as strong of side effects. That is pretty color of water😝

    ReplyDelete