The last couple of weeks have felt almost normal! I've been able to eat regularly, walk daily, and sleep better. My hair is even beginning to grow again. I have about 1/4 inch of grey and white hair sprouting all over my head that should make for an interesting transition. :) I have read a little about how chemo can affect the regrowth of hair and while it affects everyone a little differently, often chemo can change the hair follicle for a year or longer. The color and texture of the hair can be different, usually white or grey, and often the hair comes in curly (referred to as "chemo curls"). My hair is still not long enough to tell but the texture feels coarser and my eyebrows are definitely curly. My eyelashes are becoming visible and I have baby white peach fuzz on parts of my face and neck that I never had before. Trying to figure out how to tame all of that! 🤔 I'm doing my best to embrace this new look and treat it like an adventure!
The "not-so-normal" part of my life includes all of the doctors' appointments and insurance calls I have had and will continue to have this next week to prepare for surgery. Last Monday, I had a CTA scan of my abdomen to determine the blood supply and vessels the plastic surgeon can use for my reconstruction. I've met with a physical therapist that will help me to regain my range of motion after surgery. Blood tests on Friday showed that I am still low in white blood cell counts but Dr. Curley feels I am ready for surgery. Thyroid, liver and kidneys levels all look normal. My COVID test and Keytruda infusion will be on Tuesday morning followed by a "seed placement" in the afternoon. The seed placement will be in my left axillary lymph node and will help guide the breast surgeon to where the biopsy marker is, so they can remove the area that was originally diagnosed as cancerous. Wednesday, I will meet with Dr. Matatov to get marked for surgery and have a final preop visit. On Thursday, the 28th I will need to be dropped off at the hospital for check in at 11am and surgery will begin at 1pm. No one will be allowed in with me, but doctors will send updates to Glen. Surgery will probably last about 2 1/2 hours. Depending on how I recover from anesthesia, I may be released that evening or need to stay overnight. We're praying that the biopsy of the breast tissue and lymph nodes that are removed come back free of cancer (a complete pathologic response). We will get those results about a week after surgery.
We have experienced two very specific blessings recently. The first is that we have not come down with COVID. As numbers have climbed in Arizona and many of our dear friends have struggled with sickness, we've tried to be wise in our activities and interactions. Daniel was in contact with someone at school who tested positive and so was at home quarantining with us last week. We were very thankful when his test came back negative and he was able to return to school. Dr. Curley has encouraged me to get the COVID vaccine as soon as I am eligible (phase 1C). We pray every day and by name for those who've been affected by this virus. For some, the symptoms have been minimal but for others it has been life-threatening and very humbling.
Our second blessing was that our insurance approved our reconstructive procedure and doctor! Several weeks ago, we were denial approval because Dr. Matatov is out of network and very specialized. We were told it was not medically necessary and other reconstruction options were just as good for my situation. With the help of our patient navigator, and after lots of paperwork and red tape, we appealed the denial. Dr. Matatov spoke personally with a medical professional at United Healthcare and we got word yesterday that we were approved!! We know these are direct blessings from our collective prayers and we thank you so much for your faith in our behalf.
Our love for our Savior grows as we see and recognize His hand in the details of this process. Can there be any doubt that our God, the creator of the universe and King of all, can help us to overcome something as insignificant as cancer. He is mighty to save, according to His will. Of this we are certain!

So glad that the insurance is on board! Will be praying for you this week. -Mark
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your experiences, especially your testimony of prayer and how God is in the details of our lives. You are always in our prayers 🙏❤️ -Christine
ReplyDeleteYou are more beautiful now than ever because you have been refined in the furnace of affliction! So happy to hear the insurance jumped on board! You and the family are in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteSo beautiful and full of light! So much to prepare for surgery, grateful it’s all coming together. Our prayers are with you through this stage that the surgery goes well and your biopsy results are clear. Lots of love always!
ReplyDelete