This has been a full week! I was able to make it to all of my appointments on Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday, Glen surprised me by taking work off so that he could help me get a few things done before surgery and come with me to my doctor’s appointment with Dr. Matatov. That was a highlight for me! We were grateful to have all of the kids, including Beka via FaceTime, together when I received a priesthood blessing that night. Afterward, we picked up my sister Sondra from the airport and have loved having her here. She has been a tremendous help already!
On Thursday, Glen dropped me off at the hospital at 11am for my scheduled surgery at 1pm. I spent the next few hours getting prepped and surgery started at 1:30pm. Glen returned home and worked until he got a call from Dr. Moorthy (the breast surgeon) after she had finished the mastectomy and node removal. She told him that things went well but that the frozen section biopsy on the sentinel node indicated some cancer, and that they needed to take out more nodes than expected. She removed them and they will be tested. She told Glen that I would need additional radiation on the nodes that remained but that no further surgery would be necessary. Dr. Matatov (the plastic surgeon) called Glen after he completed his portion of the surgery at around 5:45pm and said that things went well placing the expander and two drains — one coming from the lymph node area and one coming from the chest. He said that I was doing well enough that Glen could take me home that night.
I have been home resting and taking several medications, including an anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, and nerve pain reliever. For pain, I have had extra-strength Tylenol and Oxycodone as needed. Until now, the pain has been manageable, but I've felt a lot of discomfort from the expander pressing against my sternum. I felt well enough today to go out for a slow walk around the neighborhood. The doctors want me to keep moving to prevent blood clots and to keep my bowels working. We empty the two drains several times throughout the day. As soon as the blood and fluids are less than 30 milliliters a day, they can be removed by the doctor. I'll be doing some light exercises from home that were recommended by the physical therapist to regain my range of motion. I have a follow up appointment with Dr. Matatov on Wednesday and one with Dr. Moorthy on Friday, so hopefully we will have more information then.
We have felt your love, fasting, and prayers and thank God for such wonderful family and friends!
Love,
Diana and Glen

So thankful for a successful surgery!
ReplyDeleteGlad everything went well and that you are home with your family ❤️ -Christine
ReplyDeleteSo grateful it all went well. I bet that expander is the worst! The drains don’t look fun either, Emma always had them after surgery also and we couldn’t wait to get them out. Prayers you can continue to find ways to manage the pain and recovery goes well. Lots of love!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear things are going well. I know it’s not an easy journey. Love you. You’ve got this.
ReplyDeleteAdrienne