Thursday, May 20, 2021

I got COVID...for a day! (5/20)

What???


Well, the past couple of days have been full of lots of highs and lows! Last Wednesday, Glen became sick with cold-like symptoms and by the weekend I also began to feel a sore throat, cough, congestion, and stuffy head. My symptoms followed his almost exactly, just about 3-4 days behind. 

On Monday, when we still were not well, I felt like we should get a COVID test, even though we are both fully vaccinated. I had several doctors appointments scheduled during the week and I knew if I had any symptoms, they would require a test before coming into the office. So both of us drove through a COVID testing site and got a nasal swab done. 24 hours later when we got the results, we could not believe it! Glen was negative and I was positive. We saw the results just as the kids were getting ready to head out the door to school so we caught them and started making calls and sending emails to the teachers and staff. The kids were very upset since the older ones were all doing their final reviews this week, and Hannah was so sad to miss the recording of her music concert with the Bumble bee song 😢. "We were going to get to stand on the risers," she said sadly. After some time, we were able to get Kate and Ryan on Zoom calls with their classes, but unfortunately for Daniel no Zoom links were provided for the middle school classes, so he just had to wait to get missed work. 

Meanwhile, the kids began to realize all that they would miss while they had to be in quarantine for the next week. Ryan's senior prank day and senior dinner ... Daniel's sports award ceremony, mutual activities ... Kates's soccer workouts, receptions, Sunday dinner ... not to mention that Hannah was not going to be able to pop the balloon for her special end-of-year activity and summer birthday celebration! It was easy to see all we were losing, so we cried and punched some pillows and then we talked about what we could and could not control and how all of these disappointments played into a bigger perspective. One blessing that came is that Ryan was able to talk with the temple workers to schedule his appointment to receive his endowment on June 19. They had missed each other several times because they had always called when he was at school.

I talked with my oncology nurse and he encouraged me to get another test done before we made any decisions with my treatment. I continued to take my oral chemo, and the next day Glen and I went to a different clinic and got a deep nasal PCR test done. We explained our situation to the physician assistant who tested us, and she said it was more likely that in the first test Glen was a false negative and that I was a false positive. Another day passed with the kids homeschooling, when we got the second set of results. Glen and I were both negative!

I never saw so much jumping up and down, hoops and hollers, and excitement as when we told the kids they could go back to school! We were so happy to spread the good news!! Everyone was ready in uniforms and lunches packed before we got off the phone with the school administrators! We got the kids dropped off and as I laid down to rest, I thought to myself about what had happened. I got down on my knees to thank Heavenly Father that we did not have COVID. The joy of Wednesday would not have been so sweet without the disappointment of Tuesday. I know the same will be true of my life after I crush this cancer! I will see Dr. Curley tomorrow to get blood tests done and discuss my first round of oral chemo.

1 comment:

  1. What a roller coaster of emotions and a powerful life lesson! Glad it’s all clear and the kids could enjoy their end of school activities and you didn’t have that worry.

    ReplyDelete