 |
| Me and all of my pills |
On May 10, I started my first round of oral chemo, Xeloda. I take 1300 mgs (4 tablets) in the morning with a full meal and then 12 hours later I take another 1300 mgs with a meal. It's been a little difficult finding the best time to eat so that I can take my medication. I feel like I'm force-feeding myself a bit even when I'm not hungry, so that I can get my pills in. Right now, I take my first dose around 7 or 7:30am so that I can have my evening dose at about 7pm before it gets too late. The doctors encourage me to eat at least 300 calories with each dose so that it will help with absorption and not upset my stomach. They also want me to be as consistent with the times I take it so it is most effective. If I forget a dose by more than 2 hours, I am supposed to skip it and just take the next dose so that there is not too much chemo in my system at one time. My stomach has felt a bit sour since starting the Xeloda but it seems to help if I have a little bit of food on it at all times. So I am just planning to eat my way through the next six months. :) I take the oral chemo for 14 consecutive days and the 7 days off before I start a new cycle.
Throughout the day and at night I'm supposed to use heavy moisturizer on my hands and feet to prevent hand/foot syndrome (cracking and peeling of the skin on the palms of my hands and souls of my feet). Every time I sit down, I try to moisturize and at night I slather Aquaphor on my feet and hands and cover them with socks and gloves. Glen says I look like Michael Jackson with my white cotton gloves at night. :) I am going to see if I can moonwalk any better with my Aquaphor on.
Today, I met with my radiation oncologist, Dr. Quiet, to see how my skin was healing after a month post-radiation. She gave me an A+ for keeping Vitamin E oil on it as much as I could. She was very pleased with how the skin was looking and with all the work I had done with the physical therapist to regain my range of motion. I will have one last PT appointment and then I can discontinue that for now. She said I will always need to be careful about trauma to my left arm and side of my chest that could bring on lymphedema but for now things are looking good!
Thank you for your prayers of healing and strength.
Awesome job taking care of yourself even though it’s unpleasant! That’s a lot of lotioning and eating- I can imagine that gets old fast. We’ll call you the 6th Jackson;)
ReplyDeleteDiana, In the words of MJ:
ReplyDeleteJust Beat It
No one wants to be defeated.
Showin’ how funky strong is your fight.
It doesn’t matter who’s wrong or right.
Beat It!!
You got this Diana!!