Thursday, July 1, 2021

Family time + adjusted dosage

Andersen reunion

I'm writing this update from Manti, Utah, where we've been able to spend the last couple of days at the Andersen family reunion. It's been a year and a half since I was able to leave the state, so it's been wonderful to get away, be with family, and enjoy the cooler temperatures! We will head up north to American Fork next week to see some of my family and give Ryan the chance to visit relatives one last time before he starts his mission.

At the end of my last cycle, my feet got so painful that I needed to upgrade my knee scooter for a wheelchair to get around. I contacted my nurse navigator to make him aware of how I was feeling and they told me to stop taking the Xeloda until I could get in to see Dr. Curley. He said if I needed a wheelchair, I was probably on too much and they would reevaluate things after doing some bloodwork. When I saw Dr. Curley on June 18, he wasn't concerned with my bloodwork but definitely felt we needed to adjust the dosage of my medication because of the hand/foot syndrome side effects. He said it is not uncommon to have to reduce dosages and that it would not interfere with the efficacy of the oral chemo. He lowered my dosage by about 25% for the next cycle so that I will now take 2000mg a day instead of 2600mg.

Sisters!

At the temple for Ryan's endowment

Beka's birthday!

During this time we had the chance to enjoy lots of company. One of Kate’s friends from NC was able to come and attend Girls' Camp with her. My sister Kim came from Texas on June 11 to help with family and shop for Ryan's mission, and Rebekah was able to come home for a week to celebrate her 22nd birthday and be with Ryan and our family as we attended the temple for him to receive his endowment. It was a glorious event and one I was so happy I could save my steps for!

My feet were feeling much better after a 10-day break and I started cycle 3 on June 21. My hands and feet are looking better on this lower dosage but I can certainly see the side effects worsen the last few days on the medication. I am more tired, nauseous, and my feet are more tender and red. Starting Monday, I'll get another 7-day break! Feeling grateful for my improvement. 

Hope you all have a marvelous 4th of July!

1 comment: