Thursday, September 30, 2021

Healing & post-treatment staging

Flowers and quilt from dear friends, the Wolfersbergers
On Saturday, we were so happy to return the wheelchair I have been using! I haven't needed to use it this past week and my hands and feet are beginning to heal. They still require a lot of lubrication at night and during the day but the peeling has slowed way down. I actually laced up my tennis shoes a few days ago and gingerly walked around our neighborhood one time. I have several toenails that are bleeding, which I think might fall off because my nail beds are so dry, but I just keep slathering them with aquaphor and oil in hopes that I can hang on to them as long as possible.

We've been adjusting to having half of our children gone since Rebekah and Ryan left. It always feels like someone is missing but the younger three kids have enjoyed moving into new rooms, bigger beds, and spreading out a bit. Kate moved downstairs into Beka's old room; Daniel was thrilled to move into Ryan's queen bed; and we finally took down the girls' bunk beds and moved Hannah's toys into her room. My dear friend Ellie helped me to organized Hannah's books and toys and rearrange her closet so that she has enough room to do cartwheels. She loves it!
Another friend from Utah, Jessica, came on Sept. 12 for a few days to help us shuffle rooms and work on projects that have been accumulating over the past year. We went through closets and cupboards and attacked the garage, which had turned into a bit of a dumping ground 😩. It was like I was "nesting" all over again and as I began to declutter I felt emotionally better than I have since I started oral chemo. We can't thank you enough!
Jessica and me
On Sunday, Sept. 19, we returned from church to find an adorable pumpkin wreath and fall decorations outside our front door! They are so cute and we have had so much fun setting them up for the holidays and preparing for some cooler weather. We don't have any idea who brought them and since we don't know who to thank ... if you are out there reading this please, know how much you brightened our day!
On the Sept. 22, Glen and I met with Dr. Matatov our plastic surgeon. I was quite anxious about talking with him as I had been rethinking my decision to have a DIEP flap reconstruction and considering using implants instead. After praying and researching and counseling with others, Dr. Matatov was able to answer several questions and concerns we had. Because of the way that radiation has effected my muscles and tissues, we feel peace that the DIEP flap surgery is the best option for my circumstances. Even though it will be a more evasive procedure and harder recovery, we feel like long term I will have the best results. He has been holding a surgery date for me of Dec. 1 but he said after our visit, he feels I will need longer to heal before having surgery. We will meet with him again at the beginning of November to make a final decision on the timing but he reminded us that this is an elective procedure and that we should make sure I'm completely healed and strong mentally and physically before going into it. I was very grateful for the time that he took with us and we felt like our prayers for guidance had been answered.

The PET scan that Dr. Curley ordered was denied by our insurance so instead we are doing a combination of two CT scans and a bone scan. Today I had a chest, abdomen, and pelvis CT scan with contrast. I should have the results from that in a few days but I have to wait until Oct. 15 to get the bone scan done. That will consist of an injection in the morning and then returning in the afternoon for the actual scan. Once we get all these results, we can establish some post-treatment staging and next steps. I'll see Dr. Curley again on Oct. 14 to do bloodwork and see how I am recovering from the oral chemo. I've been able to adjust my physical therapy to every other week now that I am getting a better range of motion with daily exercises.

The next few weeks our children will be out of school for fall break and project week. Kate will still have early morning seminary but we are looking forward to resting, making a trip to CA and seeing Glen's sister and family, the Cobbs, and enjoying a little beach time.

Love, 
Diana and Glen

1 comment: