I met with my oncologist, Dr. Curley, last Friday and he let me ring the bell to signify the end of my treatment even though I still had a few more days of chemo. He and several of the nurses were there to congratulate me and presented me with a certificate that read "You did it!" As soon as I got home, I corrected it to read, "You We did it!" I could never have made it to this point without each of you — your prayers, your faith, your love, your encouragement, your meals, your help with children and cleaning, your rides to appointments, your calls, texts and cards. I have felt quite emotional as I have reviewed in my mind all of the support and service we have received. Today, I decided to pray and fast in gratitude for you and for my loving Savior who have been with us each step of this difficult journey. We did it!
As we talked about our next steps with Dr. Curley, he said that he would like to see me in six weeks to see how I'm healing and to take another blood draw. He's going to order another PET scan for post-treatment staging but he said unfortunately insurance usually doesn't approve this very expensive scan. If that is denied, he'll order a CAT scan that will also provide helpful imaging and which is usually approved. I'll continue to work with my physical therapist weekly and I have an appointment with my plastic surgeon on September 22 to discuss plans for reconstructive surgery. Financially, we'd like to do that before the end of the year since we've met our medical deductible but that will all depend on how I heal and what Dr. Matatov recommends at our next visit.
Aside from my treatments and appointments, we've had a very busy couple of weeks with our family. On August 17, Glen and I celebrated our 23rd anniversary together at home. The next day, Glen flew to Virginia to help our daughter Rebekah drive back from her summer internship. She has had the most marvelous experience working with a wedding planner who's now become a part of our family! During the week that he was gone, I received tremendous support from our church and friends who helped to be my feet and hands in all the ways I could not.
After Glen and Beka returned, we had about a week to help Beka prepare for her drive back to BYU-Idaho and to help our son Ryan prepare for his mission departure. His original assignment was to Rancagua Chile but due to COVID closing borders he's been temporarily reassigned to the Texas Dallas East Mission. Beka left Sunday afternoon and we took Ryan to the airport at 5am Monday morning. By the time they left, my mother heart hurt worse than my hands and feet. After a day of crying, I can truthfully say I am happy to watch my children move forward and progress, but they sure do leave a hole behind as they do 💓. It will be a wonderful blessing to have both Paul and Ryan out serving the Lord. We have already felt many blessings because of their sacrifices.
Praying you will feel our love and gratitude.
Di





Congratulations on reaching the end of your oral chemo!!
ReplyDeleteWe’ll continue to pray for your recovery.
So proud of how well you have handles your battle! You continue to amaze and inspire, love you!
ReplyDelete