Sunday, August 15, 2021

Feeling a little geriatric :)

This fifth cycle of oral chemo has definitely taken a toll on my hands, feet, and range of motion. This past Wednesday, I saw Dr. Quiet, my radiation oncologist for a three-month follow-up appointment. She commented on how tired I was looking and was concerned with the range of motion I have lost in my arm and chest muscles. I've been having pain in my shoulder and chest as I try to use my left arm. I asked her if that was delayed stiffness due to radiation or because of my oral chemo. She said probably both. She wants me to begin physical therapy again and she said I really need to move as much as I can. She suggested using the pool now that the temperatures are coming down.



I've mostly been using a wheelchair when I have to be out of the home for any length of time because of the pain in my feet. Back-to-school shopping was really exciting with the kids pushing me around 😧 We took out a couple dozen corners but no people! I got in the pool Friday morning and bobbed around on some pool noodles so that my feet didn't touch the pool floor. I was worried that the chlorine might burn my hands and feet but that didn't seem to be an issue. Unfortunately, when I got out of the pool my feet were so pruney that the skin just ripped off.


Later Friday, we met with Dr. Curley for blood work and a checkup. He was not happy to see me in a wheelchair or happy with the condition of my hands and feet. He said that he blamed himself for this, not me. They are so red and throbbing that even the gloves and socks hurt that I wear after applying my moisturizers. Up until now, my feet have felt much worse than my hands but now my hands are just as bad. He asked if I could make it through one more cycle. I told him I could. He said that all the studies done with Xeloda show success based on 6-8 cycles. If I can get to six cycles, he says we need to stop because of the side effects I am experiencing. I was hesitant to do that after coming this far but Dr. Curley assured me that this is the best course of treatment for my circumstances. So my last day to take oral chemo will be September 5 instead of October 17. I was able to work in an appointment with my PT after seeing Dr. Curley. It was my most painful session and I have lots of homework to complete before I see her again next week.


Glen has been my constant and tender caregiver. Taking me out to dinner by piggyback, lubing up my hands and feet every night, bringing me food and chemo each morning. I always have something to be grateful for because of him. Praying that my last cycle of chemo will be enough to kill whatever cancer cells might remain in my body.




2 comments:

  1. Good news about the early end to chemo. Will continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the update…so glad you are almost done and so sorry about these awful side effects, the smile you have in these pictures is inspiring knowing all you are going through. Prayers for endurance and that it’s effective. Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete